Thursday, April 29, 2010

British Ramblings


I'll make it simple! In an effort to reach out to all the folks out there in blogging land, I'm planning on updating more frequently and sharing my passions, pursuits and perils. ;)


For the fellow Brit-Wits:





One of my all-time favourite catalogs, a cornucopia of British-inspired wares and a rather affordable and lovely collection of items from Buckingham Palace (or, as I call it, just "the palace". Heh.). BBC America Shop is another one, when I need to provide a nice little something for a fellow anglo-phile maniac (my husband! myself!).
In other news, Russell Crowe gave his slightly snippy opinion of his Robin Hood forebears. Nevertheless, his points are well taken. Green tights in the forest aren't very practical, are they? Here's the trailer for the new film.
If you're interested in learning more about accents/dialects in the U.K., check out this page from the British Library. I've been sinking my teeth (er, ears?) into this and I'm really enjoying it, it's fascinating. An interactive map lets you listen and compare various accents from Wales, N. Ireland, England and most of Scotland.
And here's the song from a really cool Scottish folk/rock band called Albannach that's been a source of inspiration for me this week. It makes me think more of Wales than Scotland, though. But I'm partial to Wales anyhow and those of you who know me well enough will know why. ;)

No comments: