Wednesday, April 3, 2013

It's been a while...so here's part of Season 1, Episode 3 of "How to be Britsh at Home"

So sorry! I'll be back on my regular blogging schedule very shortly. For now, here's the latest Anglophile news:

1. Many kudos to Anglotopia for posting a major listing of all British-themed stores in the US. I found one selling UK food about 30 minutes from my house. Bless you, Jonathan Thomas!

2. New London neighborhood-themed chocolate bars. I never visited any of these parts of London when I visited there back in 2011, mostly because of a lack of time, but I wish I had! Perhaps next time.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

I'll cut to the chase. I've listed all the ways I keep happy in America whilst yearning and lusting after England. Here's some more ways to pacify oneself!

1. Learn to dance the in old English style. Try Contra Dancing: this is a hybrid of English Country Dancing (think Austen) and country American Square Dancing. Maybe a bit of Irish thrown in for good measure. This is particularly popular in the South East United States and it keeps you fit and trim along with keeping a smile plastered to your face while you dance. ;-) Look up your own chapter/Contra dance community in your area. Mine is here.

2. When all else fails, revert back to your 5 year old self and play pretend. This will be easier if you live somewhere that has a countryside that, in the right kind of weather/lighting, can look like Britain.. I live in North Carolina, which has plenty of forests, farms and rolling foothills to stand in as a backdrop to one's flights of fancy about the Isles. Find a nice spot on a back road somewhere, breathe in, play some Celtic tunes in your car. Live in your imagination for a while and stay there until you're ready to come out. No, I'm not insane. I'm a writer. Our breed must utilize our imaginations in order to keep our craft fresh...and to stay, well, sane. ;-)

So there you have it. I'll post some more silliness and somber sayings later on. Cheers for now!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning,

Have you seen http://britishfamily.co.uk/? They are "a typical British family...only buying goods (made) from the United Kingdom".

I'm sure you'll be able to find some international suppliers in their list of Brit goods.

I want to promote Ceilidh dancing. I've honestly never heard an English man challenge the brilliance of Ceilidh dancing with Contra dancing, so I'm uncertain how popular it is over here. My reliable friend Wiki comments it's more popular across the pond... Kickstart the Ceilidh revival over there Emily!

I apoligise, I couldn't help but have a giggle at your comment "play some Celtic tunes in your car". Living in Glasgow all I hear is NEDs (explanation needed?) driving past in their crap little cars, tinted windows and celtic (or rangers) songs blaring!

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but the translation in my head was funny.

Hope you had a great Easter and where have you been?!?!

Emily Williams said...

Hi there!

Thanks for the link, I will look into it.

I'll gladly kickstart any folk dancing revival any time, anywhere. It's what keeps me going!

Haha at the Celtic tunes! That is to say Irish/British Isles sounding stuff. I get the NED's reference. ;-)

I've been missing in action, eh? I'm in rehearsals daily for a stage play that I'm in and the school semester is wrapping up. I'm certainly less busy now than I was at Eastertime! I hope you've been well yourself! 8)

Em