Friday, November 11, 2011

This Sunday...

Col. Brandon and Miss Dashwood (otherwise known as Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson) star in "The Song of Lunch" (annoying title, yes?) on PBS Masterpiece Contemporary.


I had to write a short blurb on this, because it's a small miracle for me when I see two of my favorite British actors co-star for a second time. I just wish Alan was in a cravat on a horse and Emma was weeping con pathos over a bit of ivory (let the reader understand), but instead, we have to make do with this lot.


It looks a bit dafty: a very modern poem about two ex-lovers eating lunch. With red wine. Quick, hand me my stain-resistant linen napkin, I'm going to blubber myself...


How stirring. What it really looks like is a silly vignette about two middle-aged prats eating lunch with overpriced wine at a restaurant in London I probably could never afford myself. Watch the short clip here to understand what I'm getting at (watch for Rickman's languid, upper-class twit outcry as he looks at the menu, "It's almost all pizzas! I am afraid it's gone to the dogs!" Oh, for...).


I tried to get into the previews, but just couldn't. Other than Rickman looking like his usual scrumptious Welsh self plus his accent that sounds more Blackpool than Hammersmith, and the infallibility of Thompson's loveliness, there isn't much to tempt me.


Though I admit, it did make me a tad bit hungry. ;-) Bon Appetit!

No comments: