Friday, July 16, 2010

The Pre-Weekend update




Hi all,








A bit of an emotional evening for me. First, I hear one of my old friends and colleagues from the office has put in his two weeks notice and is moving to San Francisco 8( Though there is a lot to be said on this topic, I don't blame him. I'm glad he's moving on to greener pastures and the like. It's just that he and a small handful of our work mates always got together every two weeks or so for lunch and coffee - or the "Espresso Summit", as we liked to call it. ;) This seemed to only increase after I left the office, simply because we all got on so well and they really enjoyed my company, going so far as to pay my way every time when my budget was strained. /sniff.... While I'm sure I'll still see them now and again, our team is rapidly diminishing as folks move Westward. First my best work gal Riva moves to Texas, now this. ;(
Then, I saw the latest Doctor Who episode which involves the Doctor and Amy going back in time to see Van Gogh and fight giant bird monsters. Ok.

The emotional wallop for me came at the end when they bring Vincent to the Musée d'Orsay in 2010 to show him just how much of an impact he had on art (and a bespeckled, bow-tied Bill Nighy as an art critic telling Vincent exactly why). I cried my green eyes out. I was raised on Van Gogh along with air and water, so my appreciation and understanding of his life and work has always been strong. I attribute this to my mother's artistic training and her own trials in life perhaps, and how she handed this down to me. But I first laid eyes on a Van Gogh for the first time at the Boston Museum of Art two years ago and that was a memorable moment for me. Just imagining him standing there, seeing his work in Paris and finally receiving the affirmation he deserved touched a deep nerve with me. Good writing and set design, too. It worked. And in the words of another doctor we all know and love, "I love it when a plan comes together!" ;-x

If you're looking for another insight into Vincent, this time a little more deep and with my other earthly Idol, Simon Schama, watch his "The Power of Art" episode on Van Gogh, with Andy ("my preciouuussss") Serkis basically being what he is as an actor - brilliant and real. Click here and you'll see why. Wait till the end.

I'm off for a starry night of vivid dreaming...Cheers.


5 comments:

Ed Feldman said...

V.G. is the only artist whose emotional impact increases the closer one gets.
With other artists, the act of close examination is one of examination of technique, or of revealing hidden details, both intellectual activities.
But the closer you get to Vinnie's work, all that falls away, and you just feel the passion, the madness, the sculptural obsessiveness that makes you want to touch it so much that you go a little crazy too.
Feeling what the artist honestly felt is what I want to feel, and crazy, without irony or calculation, as in surrealism, is as honest as you can get. That much truth ain't always pretty, but it sure makes your kundalinis spike.
Go to Amsterdam. I spent nine afternoons in museums. Then I went and did other things. Other Things Optional.

Emily Williams said...

Nine afternoons in museums is my personal nirvana, so I applaud you. I'm currently in the throes of planning a week long, one-time trip to London next summer and I fully intend on taking two days just for the V&A and the British Museum alone - if I can.

As a student of literature and history, I often feel that need to connect and experience the intangible insanity or suffering that fueled, say, the works of the Brontes or Dickinson - the way they did, in *their* time. There is little point, otherwise. Understanding Vincent is no different.

You are a Romantic, admit it...and if so, then welcome home, my friend.
;-) xo

Ed Feldman said...

I do admit it. Luckily, Stark Industries has developed a quick deploying "Cynicism-Armor" System for me, which I activate when confronted by the disappointments the world.
In between those times, I read Austen and cry at movies.

Ed Feldman said...

"disappointments OF the world"- (remember to always preview)

Emily Williams said...

Your English major is showing. ;) Previewing is a nice help.

If you read Austen and cry at movies, then I love you, sir. There should be more like you in the world. Just don't let cynicism take you down too far - there's far more to celebrate than to lament, really.

Express, not repress!
xo