Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Viva La Continuation of my Argument

I found this Protestant interpretation of the album (let me just say, I only call it Protestant because of the name of the blog, denomination means little when it comes to this stuff).

I'm not so sure this guy is really getting it, though. I don't think there is an underlying Christian message, as he calls it, within the album. As I've read the lyrics more and more, my doubts are given assurance that Coldplay is mocking Christianity, not celebrating it or "discovering" it. It's like small children mocking or mimicking something they only have partial knowledge of, so they do an "interpretation", if you will. That's Coldplay. Perhaps they are exploring Christian themes, but they are certainly not elevating them. Anyway, give it a read.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hey, thanks for the link!

I read this post and the two below about Coldplay's album. I think you're right when you say that some of the songs express doubt about a relationship with God, but if you listen to the second half of the album more closely you'll find the flip side of that message. In the second half the protagonist, if you will, comes around to more fully understand and accept God's love. Since you said you hadn't downloaded it, I'm not sure if you've listened to the whole album (though you've obviously read the lyrics), but I think it might help. The actual sounds of the different tracks help to cast an important light on their respective subjects and messages.

Overall, though, I think it's a mistake to call this album a secular work or something mocking Christianity (the anti-Catholic stuff also sounds absurd). It's definitely, even if only at a lay or pop-level, exploring and affirming a Christian message.

Cheers,

Mark