Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fast Food Banned in L.A.

The low-income areas of South Los Angeles are getting a food make-over, hopefully. Poor families only have access to McDonald's (there is nothing good about McDonald's. Positively nothing. If anything, it's an American icon. OK. So is Howard Stern) and other fast-food joints, so they're planning on simply banning anything with a drive-through window in poor areas of L.A. The reason I'm posting this is because a) I'm always happy to see fast-food banned anywhere, but b), I'm not sure this is going to help the over-all health of low-income families in poverty-stricken areas around the U.S. That starts with health-care, not french fries.

For one thing, if you take the relatively cheap, affordable fast-food out of there, what do they plan to put in, if anything? Will they sincerely vow to put in the fresh-food markets and restaurants with better, nutritious choices? I doubt it. The plight of such folks who live in these areas are far from important (let's admit it) to people of certain constituencies. In the end, I think banning french fries and high-fructose corn syrup is a dream come true, not only because of the health factors but I'm also tired of Americans blindly thinking that what they're being fed is actually good for them. Trust me, it's not rocket science: if you can read, you can look at the side of a box and see it's contents (which can also be deceptive advertising).

Gee, kids, what's more healthy? A carrot or a pitiful Chips Ahoy Cookie? Water or sugar-laden Cola? Yogurt (wait now! Read the contents!) or an evil Hershey Bar?

Yes, I'm amusing myself, but I'm also telling the truth. And the truth, kids, is a very good defense.

No comments: